Theme: ‘The Digital Shift’
Digital Opportunity Trust (DOT) Tanzania is a youth-led movement of daring social innovators who have the tools, knowledge, and networks to create opportunities and transform their own communities.
The TYDS Concept
Tanzania Youth Digital Summit (TYDS) is an annual event organized by DOT Tanzania in partnership with the ICT Commission, to support digital skills development among Tanzanian youth, and inspire their innovation and active participation in the digital economy.
DOT Tanzania and the ICT Commission pioneered the concept of digital jobs at the Tanzania Youth Digital Summit (TYDS) in (2019) – convening over 500 youth in universities, exposing them to opportunities for jobs and income-generation in the digital economy, in order to become business and job creators that leverage digital solutions to access growth sectors and value chains.
This year’s theme is aptly coined as the ‘The Digital Shift’, with a very strong message that the future is digital, and the youth in Tanzania need to be empowered with digital skills, receive coaching and mentorship, in order to fully create their own opportunities for sustainable livelihoods and have an impact in their communities.
TYDS 2020 will be a three-day event held consecutively, from the 5th – 7th August 2020. Participating youth, partners, and ecosystem stakeholders will be fully engaged in the exploration of critical issues around digital innovation, building supportive and sustainable ecosystems, research, and data. The event targets the active participation of youth with the age of 19 to 35 and with particular emphasis on 70% young women, who are either in/out of school, un-/underemployed, and/or have startups.
- Empower 1,000 Tanzanian youth with practical skills, opportunities, and relevant networks that will guide them to capitalize on the digital economy.
- Convening of partners to engage with youth, and collaborate to explore future digital opportunities.
- Presentation of research on ICT & Innovation for youth.
- Opening Virtual clubs to empower ambitious participants who want to take advantage of the digital economy.
- Influence the National ICT Skills development framework.
- Spark increased involvement and participation of policy and regulatory organs in addressing digital skills and innovation challenges for youth towards the digital economy
- Build stronger ecosystems that support youth digital initiatives.
Number of Sessions: 15
Venue: Virtual spaces (official tools will be communicated).
Expected Attendants: 1,000 young people from across Tanzania.
Partnerships Terms of Reference
DOT Tanzania and the ICT Commission Tanzania officially invite interested parties to apply for the chance to become partners of the Tanzania Youth Digital Summit (TYDS) 2020.
Applications for partnerships are open to all organizations, institutions, and enterprises championing digital inclusion in Tanzania. In support of fighting the spread of COVID 19, all activities of the summit will be virtual. This includes panel discussions, presentations, and workshops.
For meaningful discussions and impactful workshops, all sessions will have a maximum of 30 attendees and may run for up to 90 minutes.
Summit is a multilingual Swahili and English languages may be used in the sessions.
The Scope of Work
TYDS partners will be responsible for the session(s) of their choosing in alignment with the 2020 theme The Digital Shift. Selected partners will be required to:
- Work with the DOT Communication and Partnership Manager on planning a session.
- Promoting the event in your organization’s social media platforms before and during the event with the TYDS branding Toolkit.
- Manage all pre-session activities (eg. Naming the session, promotion).
- Hosting the session following the provided guidelines.
- Work with organizers to prepare session materials on a needs basis.
- Sharing a report with the organizers after the sessions.
- Commit to a minimum of 2 staff members for the session.
The organizers will provide exclusive support to the partners including:
- Branding materials for the session.
- Promotional support before and after the session.
- The partner’s logo will appear in all graphical promotional materials and may be mentioned in the media.
- Attendant signups platform. All attendants will sign up through the organizing team and overseen by the lead partner in the session.
Timelines and key dates
Extended Deadline: 15th July
Final Session Timetable: 25th July
Partners Announcement: 1st August
Summit Launch: 4th August
Summit Days: 5th- 7th August
Key contacts DOT Tanzania
Communications and Partnerships Manager
Phone: +255 755 769 976